Welcome to Quality Assurance And Planning Unit (QAPU)
The Unit was established in 2012 as part of the University’s strategies to infuse quality assurance mechanisms in all the services it renders. The Unit undertakes monitoring and evaluation of teaching, learning, research and community services to assist Management in identifying the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOTs) of the University and design appropriate interventions to improve teaching and learning experience of students and staff. The Unit is also charged with monitoring and evaluation of the Strategic Plan and sub unit plans of the University. The Unit is also mandated to collate vital statistics of the University.
The philosophy of the Unit is that quality assurance is a collective responsibility of the entire Units of the University, i.e. staff, students and other supporting staff who work within the context of a set of practices, policies, regulations, norms and expectations that constitute the culture of the University. The Unit attaches great importance to the structural and systematical quality assurance of research, teaching, learning and other services of the University.
The Unit oversees that academic programmes; content, resources and facilities are sufficient, relevant, adequate and of the highest quality to create the enabling teaching and learning environment for the attainment of desired teaching and learning experience. The Unit advises the Academic Board on the acceptable standards of effective teaching, learning and research.
The Unit was established to promote and maintain academic excellence through effective monitoring of teaching, learning and research.
Mr. George Kwadwo ANANE is currently a Senior Assistant Registrar at the Quality Assurance and Planning Unit of the University. He joined the University in September 2013 as an Assistant Registrar at the Offices of the Registrar. His schedules include policy initiation and formulation, preparation of documents for programme review, accreditation, data analyses for quality assurance processes and collating vital statistics of the University. He is a member of the Ghana Association of University Administrators (GAUA). He is currently the President of the local branch of GAUA.
George is an experienced Quality Assurance Manager having participated in the TrainIQAfrica Training Series (2014-2016) at the University of Duisburg-Essen, a scholarship under the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in the TrainIQAfrica Programme for quality assurance officers of public universities in Anglophone West Africa as part of developing the skills of quality assurance officers of universities in developing countries. George has also participated in various training programmes on quality assurance systems organised by the National Accreditation Board and other institutions.
His areas of professional and research interests include the management of internal quality assurance processes, human resource development for quality assurance and institutional accreditation. He also has interests in policy planning considerations for other issues facing higher education management. George has several papers to his credit. These include peered reviewed articles, memos, technical papers and a book chapter. He was promoted to the position of Senior Assistant Registrar in September 2017.
The Unit among other things is mandated to perform the following functions:
- evaluate the services rendered by the University to its stakeholders. The goal is to develop a programme for the systematic performance evaluation of all areas of operation of the University (teaching, research and services) and thus ensure quality service delivery.
- ensure that quality teaching is sustained to produce graduates from UENR who are counted among the best in the world.
- Monitor and evaluate the views of the various stakeholders, including students and lecturers, as well as the review of programmes and courses.
- Document, publish and disseminate basic statistics of the University.
- Monitor the implementation of the Strategic Plan of the University.
- Ensure high standards in all the University’s programmes of study through periodic curricular review and revision.
- Initiate academic and research linkages and technical cooperation between Departments in the University; with other universities; governments and their agencies; international organizations; industries and other bodies.
- Perform any other functions that may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor.
The Unit currently has one (1) Senior Assistant Registrar and two (2) Senior Administrative Assistants. The Unit is supported by National Service Personnel who undertake various activities for the Unit. The Pro- Vice Chancellor oversees the activities of the Unit and reports to the Vice-Chancellor on all issues concerning quality assurance in the University.
George Kwadwo Anane-Senior Assistant Registrar
Michael Addaney-Senior Administrative Assistant
Rita Adjei-Senior Administrative Assistant
Since its inception in 2012, the Unit has undertaken the following activities to ensure service quality delivery:
- Semester-based student evaluation of courses and teaching;
- Development of policy documents such as Quality Assurance Policy, Plagiarism Prevention Policy, Examinations Policy, Code of Ethics, Mentoring Policy, Anti-Sexual Harassment Policy and Guidelines on Industrial Attachment.
- Training programmes on quality assurance for staff of the University.
- Liaising with the National Accreditation Board for programme accreditation.
- Dissemination of basic statistics on matters related to quality enhancement to the University community.