The School of Natural Resources is one of the six (6) schools in the University of Energy and Natural Resources. The mandate of the school among others is to train, conduct research and disseminate knowledge in the area of natural resources management. It trains students to attain knowledge, skills and intellectual independence to contribute their quota towards national development. The school is one of the foundation schools and its vision is to become a centre of excellence in the training of critical human resource for the efficient utilization of our natural resources.
It is dedicated to producing highly skilledgraduates’whiles generating, advancing and applying science-based information for the sustainable management and utilization of our natural and environmental resources.
The School with the help of its Research Centre for Climatic Change and Gender Studies (3CGCS) also focuses on climatic change and its impact on our natural resources. Other areas of research include:
- Aqua-culture systems.
- Environmental degradation.
- Preservation and development of heritage site.
- Forest conservation.
- Forest fires.
- Mining activities.
- Wildlife endangered species.
- Ecotourism and hospitality.
Using a partnership approach, the school is currently collaborating with institutions such as:
- Forestry Commission
- Ghana National Fire Service
- Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development- Germany
- Form Ghana
- Ministry of Lands and Forestry
- University of Houston Downtown-USA
These are aimed at building the capacity of staff and students to broaden their knowledge base and enhance our ability to contribute towards national development.
The school is made up of the following Departments and Centre:
- Department of Forest Science
- Department of Fisheries and Water Resources
- Department of Environmental Management
- Department of Ecotourism, Recreation and Hospitality
- Centre for Climatic Change and Gender Studies